Dr. Matthew Kwan is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Family Medicine and Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine Niagara Regional Campus at McMaster University.
He completed his PhD in Exercise Sciences at the University of Toronto, with a specific focus in health and exercise psychology. His current research interest is in the broader study of population health, and understanding the epidemiology, determinants, and consequences associated with physical activity during the early and later stages of life.
Guided by a socio-ecological perspective, the goal of his research is to better understand the complex interplay between individual, social, environmental, and contextual factors as it relates to behaviour change.
Implications of his research consider how personal, social, and community contexts influence physical activity, informing intervention strategies aimed at developing healthy active communities. Funded by CIHR and SSHRC, Dr. Kwan is actively involved in the MovingU Study, CATCH Study and Family Activity and Determinants Study.
Grants Toggle Grants
- Project:Agency:Department of Family Medicine Pilot FundingYear(s):July 2016–May 2017Grant Amount:$4,997
- Agency:Green Shield CanadaYear(s):November 2015 - June 2018Grant Amount:$69,226
- Project:Agency:Social Sciences and Humanities Research CouncilYear(s):December 2014-June 2017Grant Amount:$74,754
- Project:Agency:Canadian Institute of Health ResearchYear(s):2013-1018Grant Amount:$1,589,800
- Agency:Niagara Regional Public HealthYear(s):December 2015 - December 2016Grant Amount:$15,548
- Agency:Department of Family Medicine Pilot Funding for Community Physicians, McMaster UniversityYear(s):May 2014 – June 2015Grant Amount:$5,000
Publications Toggle Publications
- Date of Publication:February 2013Volume:45Issue:2Pages:314–318
- Title:Date of Publication:August 5, 2016Volume:16Issue:1Pages:728
- Date of Publication:May, 2016Volume:156Pages:73–79
- Date of Publication:May 2015Volume:47Issue:5Pages:1052–1060
- Title:Date of Publication:February 2014Volume:62Issue:4Pages:234–242
- Title:Date of Publication:March 2014Volume:39Issue:3Pages:497–596
- Title:Date of Publication:November 2013Volume:34Issue:11Pages:3691–3698