Our Enhanced Skills (PGY3) Program offers a wide range of options if you are a resident interested in pursuing additional training after your core two year Family Medicine Program.
We accept Enhanced Skills applications from current PGY2 residents who are registered in a Canadian residency program. Residents interested in pursuing an Enhanced Skills position apply in the fall of their second year.
Our Enhanced Skills Program offers a wide range of options for residents that would benefit from additional or advanced skills in preparation for their future practice. Interested Residents in their second year will apply to either the Urban or Rural stream based on career intentions. The Department is able to offer these programs through its partnerships with both ROMP and Mac-Care.
For a closer look at the program options listed below, please see our Enhanced Skills Information Sheet.
- Care of the Elderly – Six or 12 month option at the Hamilton site.
- Palliative Care – 12 months available at the Hamilton or Kitchener-Waterloo sites.
- Sports and Exercise Medicine – 12 months available at the Hamilton or Kitchener-Waterloo sites.
- Obstetrics and Women’s Health – Three to 12 months available at the Hamilton, Kitchener-Waterloo and Brampton sites.
- Self-Designated Program – Three to 12 months available at all sites.
- Anesthesia – 12 months
- Self-Designated Preparation for Rural Practice – Three to 12 months
- Women’s Health and Obstetrics – Three to 12 months
When applying to a Enhanced Skills Program, you will need to submit the following:
- Updated curriculum vitae
- Completed Application Form
- Including any advanced life support courses and electives.
- A letter including the following:
- Your goals and objectives for the program;
- How the added experience will fit with your future practice needs;
- The ways you might be better enabled to contribute to the community, the Department of Family Medicine, or the discipline of Family Medicine in general.
- A letter of support from your Program Director which speaks to your academic performance and professionalism (If you are a McMaster Family Medicine Resident, this is not necessary).
- Two letters of support from referees who can speak to your professionalism and interpersonal skills.
Please send email, fax or mail reference letters to the following:
Department of Family Medicine
c/o Sheila Murphy – Enhanced Skills Application
David Braley Health Sciences Centre
100 Main Street West, 2nd Floor
Hamilton, ON L8S 4K1
firstname.lastname@example.org or Fax: 905-528-5337
Applications for the Ministry of Health Re-Entry Program are submitted through the Ministry of Health.
The Enhanced Skills Emergency Medicine Program is a separate CaRMS based process. Please see the CaRMS website for more information.
To have your application considered, please take note of these very important deadlines.
- Application Opens: August 22, 2016
- Application Deadline: October 7, 2016.
- All applications must be received by this date.
- Interviews: October 11 – December 5, 2016
- Offer Date: December 9, 2016
- Letters of Offer will be mailed to successful candidates on this date.
- Acceptance Date: December 15, 2016
- Confirmation of Acceptance into an Enhanced Skills Program must be received from successful candidates by this date.