David Braley Health Sciences Centre, McMaster University100 Main Street West
Hamilton, ON, L8P 1H6 Directions
The Hamilton site consists of three separate teaching units. Residents request their unit of preference via an internal match following a successful CaRMS match. All Hamilton residents come together for Evidence-Based Medicine (EBM), Academic Half Day (AHD) and Mental Health and Behavioural Sciences (MHBS), located at David Braley Health Sciences Centre (DBHSC).
We are fortunate in Hamilton to be able to offer a diversity of teaching settings to appeal to different learning styles.
McMaster Family Practice (MFP) and Stonechurch Family Health Centre (SFHC) are large academic units with a depth of resources. Residents in these settings will experience multidisciplinary team-based care, dedicated supervision, and formal teaching sessions on site.
Both of these clinical units use our unique electronic medical record system. OSCAR is an open source web-based electronic patient record system for delivery of evidence-based resources at the point of care.
The Community-Based Residency Teaching (CBRT) Unit will appeal to those who prefer a community practice, and one-to-pme preceptor model. CBRT practices are located in and around the Hamilton region (30 minute driving radius). CBRT residents come together for weekly teaching at their academic home base at DBHSC.
- Diverse patient population from all walks of life.
- Dynamic faculty with interests including HIV, global health, care of the elderly, shelter health, obstetrics and women’s health, art in medicine, information technology, palliative care, procedural skills, medical education.
- Maternity Centre of Hamilton: A unique teaching site providing FM centered obstetrical care.
- Pediatric Emergency Medicine rotation.
- Established McMaster tradition of adult education and innovation.
- Family Health Team model of care in academic and community teaching practices.
- Interprofessional team based care and education.
- Clinical teaching opportunities with undergraduate medical students
Dr. Heather Waters
905-525-9140 ext. 28511