Dee Mangin MBChB (Otago), DPH (Otago), FRNZCGP (NZ)
Before moving from New Zealand to Canada, Dee Mangin was the Director of the Primary Care Unit at the University of Otago, Christchurch, and Clinical Leader for Research Audit and Evaluation at the Pegasus Health Primary Healthcare Organisation.
She was a Ministerially appointed member of the New Zealand Pharmaceutical and Therapeutic Products Advisory Committee, PHARMAC. She is a Fellow of the Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners, and in 2011 she received their Distinguished Service Medal.
Dr. Mangin sits on the Section of Researchers’ Council with the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) and is a member of the Integrated Patient Safety Action Plan Medication Safety Leads Group, Patients for Patient Safety Canada.
She was awarded both a Distinguished Paper and Best Paper award at the North American Primary Care Research Group’s (NAPCRG) 2015 conference. She is the Director of MUSIC, the McMaster University Sentinel and Information Collaboration practice-based research network, and the Medical Director and cofounder of RxISK.org a website for consumer information and reporting of drug adverse reactions.
Her broad interests are: rational prescribing; innovative models of primary care delivery; effective incorporation of evidence into patient centred practice; and the influences of science, policy and commerce on the nature of care.
She has wide clinical research experience in primary care, including observational and interventional quantitative research methods and community RCTs of innovative models of care. Dr. Mangin has experience leading RCTs of clinical interventions in areas such as antidepressant use, community acquired pneumonia, antibiotics in urinary tract infections, deprescribing trials on the reduction of single medicines and deprescribing of multiple medicines among older adults.
A troubling pharmaceutical cocktail
The Walrus Talks — Mobility
October 5, 2017
Grants Toggle Grants
- Agency:Labarge Optimal Aging InitiativeYear(s):2016Grant Amount:$81,500
- Agency:Labarge Optimal Aging Opportunities FundYear(s):2016Grant Amount:$75,000
- Agency:Canadian Institutes for Health Research (CIHR) – 2016 1st Live PilotYear(s):July 2016 - June 2020Grant Amount:$974,737
- Project:Agency:Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)Year(s):June 2015–July 2016Grant Amount:$100,000
- Agency:Department of Family Medicine Pilot Funding for Family Medicine Associates, McMaster UniversityYear(s):May 2014 – June 2015Grant Amount:$5,000
- Agency:Health Research Council of New ZealandYear(s):2014Grant Amount:$1,199,968
- Project:Agency:Otago Research Grant, Funding received prior to Dr. Mangin joining McMaster UniversityYear(s):2009Grant Amount:$77,899
- Agency:Health Research Council of New Zealand, Note: Funding received prior to Dr. Mangin joining McMaster UniversityYear(s):2006Grant Amount:$1,700,000
- Agency:New Zealand Lotteries Health Grant, Funding received prior to Dr. Mangin joining McMaster UniversityYear(s):2005Grant Amount:$90,000
- Project:Agency:Health Research Council of New Zealand, Note: Funding received prior to Dr. Mangin joining McMaster UniversityYear(s):2002Grant Amount:$780,000
Publications Toggle Publications
- Date of Publication:April 25th, 2016
- Date of Publication:2015Pages:403–432
- Title:Date of Publication:September 2016Volume:28Issue:3Pages:125—141
- Title:Date of Publication:June 10, 2016Volume:6Issue:6Pages:e010903
- Date of Publication:October 1st, 2015Volume:10Issue:35Pages:1–5
- Title:Date of Publication:2013Volume:3Pages:e003475
- Date of Publication:June 2012Volume:344Pages:e3526
- Title:Date of Publication:February 2012Volume:10Issue:1Pages:50–53
- Title:Date of Publication:October 11, 2010Volume:170Issue:18Pages:1648–1654
- Date of Publication:August 11, 2007Volume:335Pages:285–287
- Title:Date of Publication:September 5, 2005Volume:183Issue:5Pages:235–238
- Title:Date of Publication:July 2005Volume:331Issue:7509Pages:143–146
- Title:Date of Publication:March 2019Volume:7Issue:1bPages:105-129