Community Paramedicine at Clinic (CP@Clinic)
Older adults are more at risk of developing cardiovascular disease, diabetes and experiencing falls which can lead to 911 emergency calls resulting in expensive emergency room visits. Community-based health screening programs that link with a person’s primary care team and promote the health of older adults may reduce the need for 911 calls.
In the Community Paramedicine at Clinic (CP@clinic, formerly CHAP-EMS) research program, paramedics hold drop-in sessions at select subsidized housing buildings with high numbers of 911 calls. At these sessions, they help assess building residents’ risks of high blood pressure, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and falls. At the same time, the paramedics are also providing information on topics like healthy eating, physical activity and quitting smoking.
CP@Clinic began as a pilot study in the City of Hamilton with the McMaster University Department of Family Medicine, Hamilton Paramedic Services and City Housing Hamilton.
It ran as a randomized control trial (RCT) in Hamilton; Guelph-Wellington County, York Region, Greater Sudbury and County of Simcoe. Other CP@Clinic research expansion sites include Timmins, Essex-Windsor, Halton Region, Bruce-Grey County and Montréal.
- Ricardo Angeles
- Brent McLeod
- Lehana Thabane
- Hamilton Paramedic services
- City Housing Hamilton
- York region paramedic services
- York Region Social Housing
- Guelph-Wellington Paramedic Service
- The County of Wellington Housing Services department
- City of Greater Sudbury Paramedic Services
- Greater Sudbury Housing Corporation
- Cochrane District EMS
- Cochrane District Social Services Administration Board
- Frontenac Paramedic Service
- Kingston & Frontenac Housing Corporation
- Essex-Windsor Emergency Medical Services (EMS)
- Halton Region’s Paramedic Services
- Halton Housing
- Norfolk County Paramedic Services
- Haldimand-Norfolk Housing Corporation
- Grey County Paramedic Services
- Grey County Housing
- Peel Regional Paramedics Services
- County of Brant Ambulance Service
- Corporation of the County of Brant
- Middlesex-London EMS
- Niagara Region EMS
- Hastings-Quite Paramedic Services