The Hamilton site consists of three separate teaching units. Residents request their unit of preference via an internal match following the CaRMS match. Clinical placements and Behavioural Science are unit based. All Hamilton residents come together for EBM rounds and Academic Half Day teaching, located at Stonechurch Family Health Centre.
We are fortunate in Hamilton to be able to offer a diversity of teaching settings to appeal to different learning styles. (MFP) and (SFHC) are large academic units with a depth of resources. Residents in these settings will experience multidisciplinary team-based care, dedicated supervision, and formal teaching sessions on site.
The Community Based Residency Teaching (CBRT) Unit will appeal to those who prefer a community practice, and 1 to 1 preceptor model. CBRT practices are located in and around the Hamilton region (30 minute driving radius). CBRT residents come together for weekly teaching at their academic home base at SFHC.
Hamilton Program Highlights
- Diverse patient population from all walks of life
- Dynamic faculty with interests including HIV, global health, care of the elderly, shelter health, obstetrics and women's health, art in medicine, information technology, palliative care, procedural skills
- - unique teaching site providing FM centered obstetrical care
- Established McMaster tradition of adult education and innovation
- Family Health Team model of care in academic and community teaching practices
- Interprofessional team based care and education