Dr. Gina Agarwal describes herself as a Primary Care Epidemiologist — leading the Vulnerable individuals in Primary Care (VIP) Research Lab that focuses on improving health systems for vulnerable populations, ensuring people in need receive appropriate care at the right time and in the right place. Her work has driven health system change in Ontario. It has been published in influential journals including the Canadian Medical Association Journal and been featured by national media, including the CBC. She holds multiple major grants from the Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR) and Hamilton Health Sciences for her research on novel health risk-assessment programs for seniors in vulnerable areas and seniors’ buildings. Her work with community paramedicine has been recognized as the foundation for the standardized ‘wellness clinic’ provision offered by paramedics across many municipalities.
Gina is the Principal Investigator of McMaster Community Paramedicine Research Team. The Community Paramedicine at Clinic CP@clinic program was inspired by her PhD work with the CHAP Program in Grimsby (the CHAD Program) and links to her involvement with other CHAP-like research programs in the South Asian Community (C-ChAMP). She is also the lead of the CHAP-Philippines research program, and has an avid interest in Global Health Research.
An academic general practitioner who trained and worked in England since the early 90’s, Gina joined the McMaster Department of Family Medicine in 2000. She works as a family physician with a busy family practice at the McMaster Family Practice (MFP) where she is deeply involved in training family medicine residents.
Her research experience started in the UK as a fellow with the Imperial College School of Medicine where she developed and worked on the National Survey of Diabetes Care for the British Diabetes Association. Since moving to Canada, she has been the recipient of many research grants and held research fellowships with CIHR and Diabetes Canada. Her PhD in Epidemiology was awarded the Faculty of Health Sciences Graduate Program Outstanding Thesis Award by McMaster University. She is one of a few active practicing family physicians who also holds a PhD.
She worked extensively with the Public Health Agency of Canada around the development and validation of the CANRISK diabetes scoring tool. She received an Award of Excellence from the College of Family Physicians of Canada in 2016 and CIHR selected her as one of Canada’s 150 Researchers. Gina was presented the prestigious Mid-Career Researcher Award from the North American Primary Care Research Group (NAPCRG) in November 2018.
Gina regularly supervises undergraduate, masters and doctoral students. Her students have been successful in obtaining research grants and have won McMaster University Health Sciences Quality Assurance Awards and Ontario College of Family Physicians Resident Research Prizes. In 2017, she was recognized for her excellence in student supervision by the McMaster University Department of Health Research Methodology, Evidence and Impact.
Publications Toggle Publications
- Title:Date of Publication:August 2019Volume:19Pages:1169
- Title:Date of Publication:July 24, 2019Volume:10Issue:3Pages:e91-e100
- Title:Date of Publication:June 2019 (online ahead of print)Volume:19Pages:682
- Title:Date of Publication:June 2019Volume:19Issue:1Pages:684
- Title:Date of Publication:May 2019Volume:7Issue:2Pages:E360-E370
- Title:Date of Publication:June 2019Volume:9Issue:6Pages:e026257
- Title:Date of Publication:April 2019Volume:4Issue:1Pages:1-8
- Title:Date of Publication:March 2019 online ahead of printPages:9:e03578
- Date of Publication:2019Volume:53Issue:4
- Date of Publication:March 2019 online ahead of printPages:1-13
- Title:Date of Publication:February 2019 (online ahead of print)Pages:9:e023731
- Title:Date of Publication:September 2019Volume:23Issue:5
- Title:Date of Publication:January 2019Volume:15Issue:10
- Title:Date of Publication:August 2018Volume:38Issue:7/8
- Title:Date of Publication:July 2018Volume:3Issue:1
- Title:Date of Publication:May 2018
- Title:Date of Publication:May 2018Volume:190Issue:21Pages:E638-E647
- Title:Date of Publication:April 2018Volume:18:95
- Title:Date of Publication:February 2018Volume:38Issue:2
- Title:Date of Publication:January 2018Volume:58Issue:10Pages:1192–1206
- Title:Date of Publication:March 2017Volume:17Issue:8